If you know anything about modern television programs then you know that “Seinfeld” is one of the top sitcoms ever made. The program aired from 9 seasons on NBC from 1989 to 1988. The show ended on top; although the ratings still very good it was decided that the show would stop production. Viewers can still get their “Seinfeld” fix because the show is aired several times a day in reruns on cable and local television. Its popularity is still high, and it is proven by a Vanity Fair survey.
CBS and Vanity Fair conducted a survey about comedy that asked several questions. One of the question asked was “Which of these sitcoms do you think is the greatest?” Those that participated in the survey could select from the following sitcoms: “Seinfeld,” “The Honeymooners,” “Friends” “Cheers,” “Arrested Development,” “Mary Tyler Moore,” and “30 Rock.” Of course you are probably curious about why your favorite sitcom was not included in the choices. I am not sure of the reasoning as to why one comedy was included as one of the choices while another was left out. One part of the survey that is known is that it was done via phone with 1,132 random adult participating. With some factors changed, such as the choices included, the results may have been different, but then again Seinfeld may still have made it to the top. Some other great comedies that come to mind are: “The Cosby Show,” “The Andy Griffith Show,” “I Love Lucy,” and “The Big Band Theory.” The list can be very subjective. But no matter what, I cannot argue that “Seinfeld” definitely belongs on that list.
Dancing with the Stars has announced their new lineup of dancers and one of the stars was a familiar face from the 90s sitcom Family Matters. Jaleel White, who portrayed Steve Erkel on Family Matters from 1989 to 1998 will dancing back into the spotlight. During its original run on television, Family Matters was very popular and it continues to air as reruns on several different local and cable stations. White’s time on Family Matters earned him a lot of fans. Let’s see if that equates to votes when it comes to Dancing with the Stars. Other celebrity contestants on this season of Dancing with the stars are:
- Donald Driver, wide receiver for the Green Bay Packers.
- Gladys Knight. Gladys Knight is a R&B legend that has had a successful solo and group career with Gladys Knight and the Pips.
- Jack Wagner. Jack Wagner has had his be on daytime and nighttime soaps. He has been appearing for decades on soaps including General Hospital, Melrose Place, and The Bold and the Beautiful.
- Melissa Gilbert. Melissa Gilbert as her portrayal of Laura Ingalls on Little House on the Prairie.
- Sherri Shephard . Sherri Shephard is now one of The View co-hosts and host of the Newlywed Game. Her acting credits include Sherri, Everybody Loves Raymond, Less Than Perfect, and 30 Rock.
- Martina Navratilova. Navratilova is a retired female tennis champ
- Maria Menounos. Menuounos currently co-hosts Extra with Mario Lopez (“Slater” from Saved by the Bell), who is also Dancing with the stars alum. She has also showed her acting skills on One Tree Hill, and Without a Trace.
- Katherine Jenkins. Katherine is a Welsh singer known for her classical and operatic music.
- Roshon Fegan. Fegan is the youngest cast member. He currently appears on Disney’s Shake it Up!.
- Gavin DeGraw. Gavin DeGraw is a singer-songwriter. One of his most popular songs ”I Don’t Want to Be” was the theme song on the television series One Tree Hill
- William Levy. Levy is best known for his acting on Spanish language television. He has appeared on several different telenovelas.
According to Atlanta Journal Constitution, Mark-Paul Gosselaar is shooting a comedy pilot for TBS. Gosselaar rose to fame starring as Zack Morris on the teen comedy “Saved by the Bell.” He went on to have rolls on to have more grown-up rolls in “NYPD Blue,” “Commander in Chief”, and “Raising the Bar.”
The new comedy pilot, “Franklin and Bash”, also stars Breckin Meyer and Malcolm McDowell
Craig Robinson, who plays Darryl on the “The Office”, will be hosting the next season of “Last Comic Standing.” “Last Comic Standing” has had several hosts, including Bill Bellamy, the show’s most recent host. “Last Comic Standing” is a talent show that has the comics competing to be the best comic.